Life Lessons in my books #MFRWauthor #lifelessons #blogchallenge

Welcome back to MFRWauthors52weekblogchallenge. It is week 28 and our topic this week is Life Lessons in my Book. This is very hard for me since I don’t have a book out. I never really set out to put life lessons in my stories. In my current WIP my story is about an older women that her sons have left home to have thier own lives and she is now facing life alone. She is a widow and has a small hobby farm. So I guess you could say empty nesting and how to deal with the loss of a husband and  your children and begin a new life. Enter a 23 year old college baseball player with big dreams and a wicked sexy smile and we have her facing her attraction to a much younger man. Could this be a morality issue? I don’t know.

In my M/M stories the life lessons is love is love and dealing with bigotry.

I have a couple paranormal romances as well and not sure at all what kind of life lesson you can find there. One is dealing with the devil and the other is  a new life as a vampire.

SO this is all I have this week.

Let’s go see what the others  life lessons in their books are?

Powered by Linky Tools

Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…

14 Comments

Robin Michaela · 07/14/2017 at 6:57 am

I’d say your older woman is probably going to face some bigotry, too. I’ll bet we’ll learn some life lessons when we read your books and see how the characters cope with things like that. 🙂

Cathy Brockman · 07/14/2017 at 7:07 am

Thanks Robin. I guess there are life lessons in all books if we just see them

Meka James · 07/14/2017 at 11:22 am

Well okay then. Your WIP sounds interesting. I can see issues arising if the new love interest is same age or even younger than her sons. Them closing ranks and such. Hidden message possibly of how much self-sacrifice is needed as a parent if the kids are unhappy. Would she be willing to give up her happiness to make her kids happy. Not in a preachy way, just something that could come about over the course of the story. Good luck with continuing to write it. 🙂

Cathy Brockman · 07/14/2017 at 2:49 pm

Thank you. The leading man is actually older than her youngest son and he does not like it but he is rather a buthole. I think he will have his own story someday soon lol. So I just realized there is a bit of taboo in both stories lol

Meka James · 07/14/2017 at 11:26 am

So I know I commented on this, but don’t see it. 🙁 Testing to see if this sticks or not. Sorry about the double comment.

Cathy Brockman · 07/14/2017 at 2:47 pm

It’s there lol I have to approve first and I am out of town st my dad’s with no internet so I am slow lol

Ed Hoornaert · 07/14/2017 at 11:41 pm

As many others have pointed out, they don’t write a novel intending to teach a life lesson . . . but the situations and the characters’ responses are in effect teaching a lesson. If you do that, this may happen. Our life lessons spring from who we are, so your writing will display your brand of wisdom; you won’t be able to help keep it out if you tried.

Cathy Brockman · 07/15/2017 at 7:41 am

Thank you Ed. From reading some of you guys posts I think it’s best to let it develop naturally so the story isn’t preachy. I learn so much each week from doing these posts from all of you!

Mary J. McCoy-Dressel · 07/16/2017 at 10:16 am

Most times we’ll never know what speaks to someone in our books. It does sound like you have life lessons in all the stories you mentioned. With your older woman / younger guy, I see where women starting over can relate, and why not give them a fantasy at the same time. Your heroine has to deal with being a widow, empty-nester, and having her hobby farm. There’s sure to be some life lessons there. Good luck with it all, Cathy.

Cathy Brockman · 07/16/2017 at 10:36 am

Thank you! I just hope people enjoy it even as an escapism

Kenzie Michaels · 07/17/2017 at 11:27 am

Oooooh, I love cougar stories! Definitely let me know when you’ve finished and gotten it pubbed:)

Cathy Brockman · 07/17/2017 at 1:31 pm

You made my day and gave me a reason to get on it! Thanks!

Flossie Benton Rogers · 07/18/2017 at 8:38 pm

You have described interesting life lessons is all yours. I am especially intrigued by dealing with the devil!

Cathy Brockman · 07/18/2017 at 10:43 pm

Thank you! It needs some smoothing out but some day I hope to get it out there!