How Did Witches and Demons Change My Life #MFRWauthor #amwriting

It’s Friday and that means time for another MFRW52-week blog hop challenge.  It’s also Groundhog’s day. So Happy Groundhogs day!

Will he see his shadow and winter carry on for six more weeks or will spring will come early? Do you celebrate it? I may watch the movie Groundhog’s day it’s so funny.

pixabay.com

Week four’s topic is A Book That Changed My Life.  At first, i was gonna say this was hard, but then a book or should I say series popped into my head. I’ll tell ya what it is in a moment. First some background. In 2010 in December I ruptured a disc in my back, bad enough I had to have surgery in Jan of 2011. I was bedfast for a while before the surgery, then of course, after not much activity either. I wasn’t able to go back to work and that left me with nothing but time on my hand. I’ve never not had anything to do so I got frustrated and depressed. I took up reading again since I didn’t have time before with work, kids, family house etc.

I found this at Barnes and Nobles and got the first three books.

30264

The Hollows reading list if you’re interested.

I devoured the series as fast as they came out. Then moved on to Laurel K Hamilton’s Anita Blake and Merry Gentry.

One night in my tub soaking with my MP3 player on a vision appeared in my head with one of the songs. Then with another song. Soon I had characters dancing in my head.

One day soon after, I was on Facebook and saw those ads for a vanity press (at the time I had no idea what that meant) but it got me wondering? Can I write my own story? I started joining Facebook groups reading books on writing and taking notes from my characters that visited more and more. I have about 5 notebooks of stories from these guys and someday I may go back to them for now they sit.

But this book is the first in the series I could say changed my life. I got over the depression with no medication. I have a reason to get up in the morning and I have published a children’s book and submitted a MM romance to a submission for an anthology (fingers crossed).

So I can say witches and Demons have changed my life in a good way and someday you may get to read about my witches and demons.

Is there a book that changed your life?

Let’s go see what books changed the other author’s lives.

18 Comments

Jennifer · 02/02/2018 at 12:40 pm

Sorry to hear of the back problems but happy they brought you to writing!

Cathy Brockman · 02/02/2018 at 12:48 pm

Thank you Jennifer.

Robin Michaela · 02/02/2018 at 3:25 pm

I’m glad you found your way back to reading, although you took the hard way, lol. And, the ground hog says six more weeks of winter, booooo.

Cathy Brockman · 02/02/2018 at 5:08 pm

Thank you, Robin. I don’t mind another six weeks if it will kill the bugs LOl

Flossie Benton Rogers · 02/02/2018 at 10:15 pm

Urban fantasy is an amazing genre and is a large part of what inspired my Wytchfae novels. I love the kick ass heroines and the underlying dark tones.

Cathy Brockman · 02/04/2018 at 3:13 pm

I have a couple of your books and need to make time to read them I love your Tuesday tales.

Ed Hoornaert · 02/02/2018 at 11:40 pm

Any book that can inspire you to write is, almost by definition a great book, a book that changed your life!

Cathy Brockman · 02/04/2018 at 3:13 pm

Thats True Ed. Thank You.

Mary J. McCoy-Dressel · 02/03/2018 at 9:06 am

Sorry about the back surgery, Cathy. I had a disk rupture that put me out of work for six months after months of suffering at work before leaving, but the steroid shot was my answer, thank goodness. Surgery was the next step if the shots didn’t work. You’ve never given up on your writing dream. I’m glad you found the books to help set your course. Cheers to you and good luck..

Cathy Brockman · 02/04/2018 at 3:16 pm

I wish I didn’t have to have the surgery since it resulted in my disability. My job required being able stand on your feet at least 8 hours and lifting 50 pounds. My doctor would not sign off on that. My disc nearly severed the nerve in my hip and its still to this day casing my issues in my left hip and leg. I am so glad you were able to get the shots instead.

Meka James · 02/03/2018 at 11:46 am

That’s awesome. The power of reading! Good luck with your submission. I’ve always wondered how one finds ways to get in anthologies.

Cathy Brockman · 02/04/2018 at 3:20 pm

Thanks, Meka. I made it. I got lucky on this and a friend of mine that is in the anthology invited me to the group. They were looking for new LGBTQ authors and have like 5 already established ones. I was one of the lucky 4 unknows to get in. I would love to do another in contemporary. I have looked at publishers a lot of them have submission calls on ther sites for anthologies.

Linda McLaughlin · 02/03/2018 at 2:03 pm

Bummer about the back problems, but you made lemonade out of lemons, i.e. reading into writing. Hope you can write about your witches and demons one day.

Cathy Brockman · 02/04/2018 at 3:09 pm

Thank You. I’m good at making that lemonade LOL. It’s in all my stories LOL.

Helen Henderson · 02/04/2018 at 12:24 pm

glad you found your way to writing. Unfortunately the ground hog saw his shadow. No early spring booooo.

Cathy Brockman · 02/04/2018 at 1:04 pm

Thanks. LOL I guess I was the only one hoping he saw his shadow LOl. A too early spring ruins my fruit trees. last year everything was early and smaller bountys.

rubber wristbands custom cheap · 02/12/2018 at 9:38 am

Great – I should definitely pronounce, impressed wkth your website.
I had no trouble navigating through all tazbs as well as related info ended uup being
truly easy too do to access. I recently found what Ihoped for before youu knpw
itt in the least. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it
for those who add forums or something, site theme . a tones
way for your customer to communicate. Excellent task.